Tuesday, August 20, 2013

What is Normal Anyway?

The post today has been weighing heavy on my heart for months now, I struggle to get it written because of fear of offending anyone (which I most definitely don't want to do). However the whole reason of having this blog is to show how having a DS child is not a bad thing, but more a blessing, and to share with you how Michael and I truly feel and they way we look at life in general.

It bothers me so badly to know that the most dangerous place for a DS child is in their mommy's belly.  Breaks my heart because as a mommy and daddy God chose you to take care of this precious child, and each and every person is created exactly the way God intended. We feel special that God chose us to take care of, teach and raise Landry the way he intended. When I was pregnant we had the option to do the Amniocentesis to test for certain things including DS, Michael and I declined, because we said, why would we want to know? What difference would it make, because it didn't matter to us if our child had DS or anything else we would love them no matter what. And mostly we don't feel its right, no matter what your child has, God blessed you with the greatest gift, a child! While driving to Michaels softball game one night,  I was talking to Michael (mostly pouring out my frustration to him) about how this subject bothers me, to hear of people that say if they would learn that their child has DS, they would not proceed with the pregnancy, How someone could do this to a baby, looking at Landry in the backseat behind us with her biggest grin, I said seriously Michael she is the cutest kid around. (we might be just a little proud of our little girl). Which he replied, Twila anyone that would even think of aborting a child like Landry or with any other special needs, is in Gods eyes not meant to be able to take care of a child as special as this. I love this man, and the way he encourages me at just the right times, he always knows what to say!

Two things that are like nails on a chalkboard to us are:

A special education teacher that I talked to once said, a thing that bothers her is people putting a label on Downs Syndrome Children. Most times people don't mean it but say, she IS Downs Syndrome, she is not. Landry simple HAS Downs Syndrome. Landry is her own person, yes she has Downs Syndrome but it should not define who she is.

The word Normal, like nails on a chalkboard to us. Because really what is normal? Every child is created in a different and unique way. Hearing people refer to their children or grandchildren as "normal" is hurtful, because as far as Michael and I are concerned Landry is normal! She has just as much potential as any other child, she will need some extra help and encouragement along the way but that's what we are for. From the very first day we found out she has DS we promised each other and her that we would never treat her like she has something wrong with her, or like she is different. By doing so we would only be hurting her, and her doctor encouraged me that we are doing the right thing. We are here to help her, to encourage her, I know we wont always be able to protect her but I feel that are duty is to surround us with encouraging family and friends that treat her just like we do, and don't look at her differently.

And lastly, I know everyone prays and hopes for a healthy "normal" child, I have been thinking about this lately, is this wrong? Because God creates our children exactly the way he intended them to be. Through my entire pregnancy Michael and I prayed that God would provide us with a healthy happy little girl, and God did exactly that! Anyone that knows Landry knows how happy she is, she can pout but for the most part she is full of smiles and giggles, and so far she has been blessed with great health.

There I feel about 10 pounds lighter, I sincerely hope I didn't offend anyone, because that was the last thing I wanted to do, but I felt the need to share how we look at life, and Downs Syndrome. Hoping you can see the Joy she brings to us!

In other news our little princess is turning one a little over 2 weeks! Wow what a year! So thankful for everything we have learned and since Landry's birth we look at life a different way. We are planning to have a princess party filled with popcorn, cupcakes, tiaras, and tutus! Lots of pink! Excited to share pictures!

-Twila


1 comment:

  1. Beautifully said! What wonderful parents you guys are!

    ReplyDelete